Sunday, October 7, 2007

Finally.... a painting from start to finish.

I've been wanting to take pics of my whole process of doing a painting for a while. The problem was that I kept on forgetting to take pics in between stopping points. So, here we go:

This first step I was just blocking in some color.


Now, I'm adding some drips of contrasting colors. I'm also starting to think about which color combinations I want to go with.


After the colors are decided upon, I felt like I needed to add some more warmth to the lower right hand corner.


At this point, I'm starting to add in some paper textures with a decoupage technique. I like the textures that this techinque adds to the painting.



I'm still building up layers of paint and paper. I don't have a plan as I'm doing this, I'm just going on what I think will look best.


Here's a crappy pic of the main image for the painting. It started off with a pic that I posed for, which was then redrawn in Photoshop.


I then transfer the drawing onto my canvas with a Sharpie.


I use a Sharpie marker so that I can still see the outlines through the paint. I'm not sure why the paint reacts like that to the Sharpie, but I'm not going to argue with it. It really helps a lot when I'm on to the outlining stage.


So, here's the outlining stage. Not much to explain here. I use a liner brush, and to make the paint smoother I thin it out a little with some soapy water. I'm not sure where I heard about that trick, but it works great.


And then the final step is another outline that goes around the figure with a lighter color to really make him pop.


And that's it. I hope you enjoyed it.